Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Noise

Ever been in a crowded room with everyone talking at one time? It’s enough to drive you insane isn’t it? Why that is enough to drive you crazy but a room full of people each playing a different musical instrument (I am basing this on the assumption that these people are actually talented and know what they are doing) actually sounds beautiful? I think the differences lie in the fact that with the music everyone is actually playing together and are in unison with one another whereas in the room with people talking they are each saying there own thing and each one gets louder then the other in an attempt to be overheard by everyone else.

I was in a class today and prior to the start there were about 20 people each having different conversations. I attempted to listen because the noise was just making my head hurt but no matter how hard I tried I could not focus on just one conversation, it was all just unintelligible noise. Immediately I got to thinking (as well as jotting down a few notes to use latter for this) and I realized that many of us have this same problem with God. We want to hear from God, we want to hear what He has to say so that we can act on what we have heard but far too often all we get is noise.

God speaks to His children; that is not the problem. His children can’t hear what God is saying; that is the problem. We have too many other voices competing with God, trying to be heard over Him, that we cannot distinguish what He is telling us. Work, family, addiction, pride, comfort and fear are just a few of the voices that raise the volume attempting to drown out Gods voice. If we do not learn to silence these voices or at least get them to play in unison with what God has to say, well; we may just miss out on hearing from God.

1 comment:

Simple Complexity said...

I think this is my favorite by far so far. I think you hit it right on the nose, I wouldn't change a thing. I see this so much not only in my life but that of others and then they wonder why things are going the way they think they should or why God isn't there. It's not that He's not there, it's that they are too busy being noisy and being busy with other things to see that He's there and has been. This is a great blog and I think I like this one best of all so far. I am truly enjoying reading your blogs. Keep them coming.