Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Am I serving God?

I had the privilege of going to a small group last night and listening to Peggy, one of our churches leaders, speak (actually I know that God wanted me there last night). Peggy talked about serving values and why we serve God and how we go about doing that, she also had many amazing stories that she shared with us. What really hit me the hardest, there were a couple of things that perked my ears but this was the biggest, is her question of “are we prepared for Sunday mornings when we come into church, are we prayed up for it?”
I use to think I was prepared for Sunday mornings; I get to church a little early so that I can go around and talk with many of my friends and then I go into the big room and worship God through music, tithing and the message. Sounds pretty good right? Wrong! I was making it about me. I wanted to talk to my friends; I wanted to worship God for me alone. I wanted MY seat and I even got a little upset last Sunday because someone moved MY bulletins in MY seats and they sat in MY spot. I didn’t know who those two people were who so rudely stole MY seat. See all of the “MY” there? My. What a selfish word. I didn’t think about who those people were, I didn’t introduce myself to them and I am guessing I probably didn’t have a very warm and welcoming look on my face. What if these people were new to church or at least new to Blue Ridge? Did they know God and if they didn’t they sure would not have seen Him too clearly in me at that moment. Some body of Christ I was acting like at that moment. God may have had them there because He wanted me to meet them and talk with them. I hope they were not visitors looking for an excuse to not come back because I very likely could have been the reason they chose.
I don’t serve on Sunday mornings; no car parking, kid community or greeting but I am a part of the church and I am representing the church and while I do not have an assigned place to serve on Sunday mornings I am always serving my God and savior. I don’t pray during the week for Sunday service, true many people come to Christ throughout the week but Sundays are the biggest gatherings of people in one spot who are drawn by God. I pray that God will use me and I often make myself available but often I am very selfish on Sunday mornings. I have a new outlook on Sunday service now. I will come prepared for the spiritual warfare that will be taking place and I will open my ears for God to speak to me. I will let Him lead me to where I will sit and who I will talk to and stop thinking just about me. I will serve God by serving others and I pray that people will see God through me and if I seem to be closing off Gods light I ask that my fellow believers will tell me, no matter how harsh the words may seem. This is a battle for lost souls, who cares if I have to sit in a different seat this week.

No comments: